Saturday, October 25, 2014

treasures from an estate sale

I almost never stop at garage sales anymore, but if I see an estate sale sign I will stop in. Boy, did I have to drive to find this one! The road signs started about 4 miles away, and I kept driving and driving wondering if I had missed it. Or if the signs had been left out past the expiration date. But way out in the country, finally found it. A beautiful little house from the 1940s or so, a lovely heat stove built into a brick wall. I should have asked if they were going to sell the house and how much!

I looked for linens first, and what luck, the resident had been a sewer.  She made these crocheted collars. Do you see in the first one the little bit of cord left at the collar beginning? Why leave those threads? It's clearly planned, but I don't know what the intent behind them is.


The rosettes on the first one have not been permanently added yet, but I still think I like the plainer second one more.

Then I picked up a half-finished embroidery. Usually I don't like the sentiment on these things, but this one is fine.  Maybe I will finish embroidering it one day!


There were a lot of collected magazines, but most of them were crochet. I picked up this log cabin quilt pamphlet because inside it had some variations on the block, and having a template will be handy!



 There were many old books, but frankly I have enough of them and not enough time to read! I loved the cover on this one, so I picked it up anyway. Oh, and the Brian Setzer was unopened. Score!
Inside the cover I looked for a publishing date, but the only date was on the dedication page. I can't tell if that's the date her brother died, or if that's the date she penned the dedication. So how far away from the publishing date could this have been?




I couldn't leave without picking up some dishes.  At first I thought this was a variation on a mustache cup, but now I think it is a tea strainer. Fill up the cup with water to cover the tea leaves in the holder, and then pour off the tea into another cup once it has brewed to your liking.


This salad plate has a very delicate green color around the outside. My photo washes it out, but in reality it is very pretty.




And lastly, a tiny decorative plate. It is only about 4" across. Janine, I'm putting this one aside for you.
Too bad the summer is coming to an end, because I sort of have the garage sale bug now!




No comments:

Post a Comment