Monday, May 25, 2015

the rose of summer

The William Shakespeare rose is in bloom.

 I love the lush fullness of each flower.
It's a climbing rose, which seems to mean it is a rose with excessive tiny thorns.  I don't like that about the climbers.
And it's a rose that blooms only one time, in spring. And then that's it.  I'd say the loveliness of the blooms made it worth it, but I don't know. I think I'd rather have a rose that kept on blooming all summer, even if if the flowers were of the few-petal variety.  Trading the garden space for one-time loveliness seems like not a good deal.

On the other hand this Elle rose is very compact (it's never exceeded four feet, with few stalks) is a constant bloomer, with a lovely fragrance. A few blooms will fill the room with scent.


Look at the coral glow in the shading. How beautiful is that?


No comments:

Post a Comment