Sunday, August 23, 2015

red white & blue quilt

I've wanted a red, white & blue quilt for summer picnics for quite a while now. Finding one already made has proved impossible, and then when I sat down to make one I realized that balancing out strong colors is problematic in itself.  I wanted there to be stars in the quilt, so it took a while to figure out how to work it. (And no, looking on pinterest to see what other people had done proved no help at all.)

So this is what I came up with. Big enough for a picnic blanket, a bed, or throwing in the car. The solid color squares will have little embroideries for interest, and then I will quilt it all by hand. This is for next summer, giving me all winter to not feel rushed.

Some of the combinations are more successful than others--you can see the white fabrics make up the points of the stars, and the red the centers. The blue is the background.

I sort of feel like once this is made, I'll have made all the quilts I want. But the process of making them is what is enjoyable, isn't it? Once made, well, we move on to the next new thing.  I guess what I want next is a special cabinet to hold all my quilts!  And yes, I've seen exactly what I want on pinterest....

No comments:

Post a Comment